From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Truecrypt 3.0 License
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 06:48:16
1 >>>>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Dane Smith wrote:
2
3 > I would like to add the license for truecrypt-7.0 to Portage. Link
4 > is here http://www.truecrypt.org/legal/license
5
6 It says "TrueCrypt License Version 3.0" not 7.0?
7
8 > Does this license look ok to everyone?
9
10 It looks very similar to the truecrypt-2.8 license that we already
11 have.
12
13 > If yes, I'm assuming it's going to go in the same groups as the
14 > prior truecrypt licenses that are already in Portage?
15
16 I don't see any truecrypt* license in profiles/license_groups so far.
17
18 But to answer the question more generally: A new version of a license
19 should only be added to groups like FSF-APPROVED or OSI-APPROVED if it
20 has been approved by these organisations. On the other hand, for
21 groups like MISC-FREE, it is as you assume. There the presence of a
22 previous version is a good indication that the new version should also
23 be added (given that it's similar enough to the previous version).
24
25 Ulrich