From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA question wrg. GRP
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 03:13:21
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 03:07:53 +0000
3 James Harlow <james@××××××××××××××.nu> wrote:
4
5 > On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 02:27:48AM +0100, Spider wrote:
6 > > So, is there any way to make this behaviour work "better" with
7 > > Gentoo? The way that strikes me is to do it like RPM does, list
8 > > library links and depend on those files specifically. "foo won't
9 > > install because it depends on /usr/lib/libssl.so.7 which is not
10 > > present"
11 >
12 > Hmm - how about distributing a set of "compiled" ebuilds with the grp
13 > that have things like RDEPEND="dev-libs/openssl" replaced with
14 > RDEPEND="dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7-r1", and putting these in
15 > /usr/local/portage? Such a compilation would be pretty easy even
16 > without a tool, and trivial with.
17 >
18 > It's not ideal - in this example, a user with openssl-0.9.7 is going
19 > to be annoyed - but it does seem to fulfil your requirements.
22 Well, No. Its a cludge around a broken situation. That we know of
23 openssl for this example doesnt mean much really. This situation could
24 happen with a lot of packages. I think one solution would be to force
25 an update to the latest version of dependencies. It would go around any
26 binary problems like this, but it still wouldn't be pretty.
27
28 cludging DEPEND manually or with tools break the whole idea of making
29 packages from the same stuff we make source builds with.
30
31 //Spider
38 begin .signature
39 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
41 end