From: Tom Syroid <tom@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] List Reflections/Considerations
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:58:25
1 --On Saturday, April 13, 2002 10:21 -0500 Darren Crotchett
2 <backdoc@×××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Not to start a flamewar, but I think that the way that 80% of the mailing
5 > list links are specifically listed on the homepage, but you have to
6 > click an additional link to see the other 20% (one of which is the
7 > newbie list) causes people to choose the user list when they might
8 > would/should have chosen newbie. Exacerbating the mistake is the fact
9 > that the user list is the first one listed. Further, the other choices
10 > (like developer) are obviously not what the newbie is looking for, so
11 > the mistake is easy to make. In all honesty,
12
13 I think this is a valid topic for discussion.
14
15 I've been using Gentoo for approx. two months and remain thoroughly
16 impressed; it is my distro of choice because it (a) gives me the
17 flexibility I desire and (b) because the community surrounding Gentoo is
18 intelligent and thoughtful. Which is important, as I'm an experienced (15+
19 years) user and don't have a lot of patience for lazy questions and/or
20 solutions.
21
22 I joined both the gentoo-user and gentoo-dev lists for the above reasons,
23 and while both lists are relatively high traffic, I was willing to tolerate
24 sifting through 200+ emails a day because, for the most part, their content
25 was substantive. AND because people like /spider took the time and effort
26 to prompt people to take some initative to RTFM or RTFA (read the fine
27 archives) and put some initative into their own learning process. Over the
28 past week, however, the quality and usefulness of these lists is rapidly
29 diminishing -- at least for me.
30
31 I don't need to read 20+ posts arguing the validity of netscape 4 over 6.
32 The reason I chose Gentoo is because the distro is fully customizable to
33 every individual's need. The above point is moot -- just figure out a
34 portage naming scheme.
35
36 I don't need to read post from proported experienced users with language in
37 caps -- it's rude and uncalled for. We're supposed to be grownups here.
38
39 I don't need to sift through 100+ one-line queries that could be send
40 off-list and be just as effective.
41
42 Yes I know I can leave the list if I don't like the traffic or the way it's
43 managed. But if the Gentoo distro is going to continue to attract the
44 skill-level and expertise it has up to now, we must find a way -- as a
45 community -- to return these lists to the functionality they held two weeks
46 ago.
47
48 Best,
49 /tom