From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: freedesktop-bugs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New eclass: xdg-basedir
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:33:04
1 On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 01/30/2014 02:37 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >> Here's a simple eclass that pretty much just extracts the XDG stuff from
4 >> the gnome2_environment_reset function.
5 >>
6 >> One difference: it creates 3 of the 4 directories under ${HOME} instead
7 >> of ${T}, just to mimic the default behavior in the XDG basedir spec a
8 >> bit more closely.
9 >>
10 >> Please give a look.
13 > Hi,
14 >
15 > Thanks for working on this.
16 >
17 > Two thoughts:
18 >
19 > 1. Would it be worth consolidating this, fdo-mime.eclass, and some other
20 > gnome2-utils stuff (eg. gnome2_icon_cache_update) into a larger
21 > freedesktop eclass?
24 That sounds like a reasonable idea to me, but I'm not sure I'm the
25 right person to make that call. I don't maintain many desktop
26 packages.
27
28 If some others chime in saying this would be desirable, I could
29 certainly work on that. Ideally, I would like the freedesktop
30 maintainers to agree on any/all functions that should be moved to the
31 new eclass.
32
33 Otherwise, I will stick with the current xdg-basedir eclass and leave
34 the consolidation work to someone else.
35
36 > 2. xdg-basedir-setup -> xdg-basedir_setup is more consistent with other
37 > modern eclasses, especially if there are additional functions in the future.
40 Personally, I think that looks stupid. ^_^ Not something I'm going to
41 fight over if it bothers people though.