From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for advanced useflag-syntax
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:15:18
1 Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2
3 > For example: mplayer
4 > It has it's gui-less player and an gtk-based frontend in one package.
5 > We should split this into two packages: mplayer and gmplayer.
6 > The chances to get this done in the upstream *before* some major
7 > distro like gentoo does the split by its own are quite low.
8
9 We do not split packages for frivolous reasons. The only accepted
10 exception is when a kernel module and an application requiring lots of
11 time to build are bundled together.
12
13 > Some
14 > people @mplayerhq are quite aeh, unfortunate, about changes in the
15 > build procedure. Maybe you like to have a look at the discussion
16 > about my patches introducing pkg-config utilization.
17
18 I don't see how it is related.
19
20 lu
21
22 PS: all mplayer front-ends use/(should use) the slave-mode ipc, gmplayer
23 is deprecated and will be replaced by another front-end using slave-mode
24 as the others.
28 Luca Barbato
29
30 Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC