From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving Gentoo User Relations
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 15:44:18
1 Thomas de Grenier de Latour wrote:
2 > On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:21:54 +0100,
3 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
6 >>* If we're looking to increase the flow of end users -> super users ->
7 >>developers, perhaps we should focus more upon improving development
8 >>tools or development documentation.
11 > I would also suggest creation of a gentoo-dev-help@ mailing-list.
12 > Something similar to what, i guess, the homonym IRC chan is, but for
13 > people who don't like IRC. Maybe i'm wrong and that's not the
14 > intention, but after 4 years of reading on gentoo-dev@ (yeah, today is
15 > anniversary of my subscription - yik, that's more than 36K emails in
16 > this maildir) , my feeling is that it's not the right place for users
17 > to ask technical questions about development/contributing (ebuilds
18 > writing, etc.). It's not that i fear this ML, but i see it mainly as a
19 > place for dev-to-dev communication on general/important topics (gleps
20 > discussion, common sense reminders, random flamewars, etc.), and thus i
21 > see the occasional "How {c,sh}ould i do something?" messages about
22 > small details as somehow off-topic, and i tend to avoid posting some.
23 >
24 > Seeing how more numerous this kind of messages are on "Portage &
25 > Programming" forums, or on gentoo-user*@ lists, i guess i'm not the
26 > only user with such feeling. But forums or users MLs are not really
27 > satisfactory for non-obvious questions, because the devs/users rate
28 > there is too low.
29 >
30 > So, what i usualy do when i'm not sure about something, in an ebuild i
31 > wrote for instance, is to post it as-is on bugs.g.o, with the
32 > questions left open in my report. But they will stay unanswered if
33 > the bug falls in the "maintainer-wanted@" oubliettes, or if the
34 > assignee is too short in time to explain me why he choosed one solution
35 > rather than an other. And even if i get my answer, it will be from a
36 > single dev, whereas others might have had a different views on the
37 > topic.
38 >
39 > Finally, i think such a mainling list could give good hints on what to
40 > improve in the documentation. Some legitimate questions may point to
41 > real lacks in the documentation, and some answers could be starting
42 > point for new chunks to add to the official or unofficial handbooks.
43 >
44 > --
45 > TGL.
46
47 +1, plus the ML is archived unlike IRC, and users can search archives
48 and we could more easily compile a FAQ about ebuild writing and such.
49
50 -Alec Warner
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list