From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Reviving GLEP33
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 03:55:01
1 On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 07:22:20PM +0200, Matti Bickel wrote:
2 > On 08/05/2010 05:27 AM, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > If a PM encounters an EAPI it doesn't understand/support, by
4 > > definition the metadata it tried generating is not usable- the PM
5 > > doesn't support that new EAPI thus it has zero clue how to
6 > > generate/store metadata appropriately for that EAPI.
7 >
8 > I guess the point here is that we need a stable version of PMs for a
9 > reasonable time before we switch tree ebuilds to it.
10 > People will hate me if I use EAPI4 functionality in php ebuilds as soon
11 > as councils approves EAPI4. Security might want a word with me if it's a
12 > fast-stable security release.
13 >
14 > But this is orthogonal to GLEP55, afaik.
15
16 Glep55 suffers the same, rather than being orthogonal.
17
18 Alternatively phrased, you can't start using a new feature until
19 support is out there. So after an EAPI is defined, you've got a month
20 or so realistically, and that's assuming portage/friends support the
21 EAPI at the time it's minted as official.
24 > >> Bad. So I guess it's back to ferring's "use a new directory not readable
25 > >> by old PMs" idea. GLEP55++, but having to wait several months for that
26 > >> and GLEP33 *on top* is not very motivation for me.
27 > >
28 > > The reason for a new directory was to enforce a new structuring that
29 > > was more friendly to changelogs and manifests- due to ECLASSDIR being
30 > > documented in PMS (and annoyingly eclass-manpagers being the sole
31 > > consumer of it) adding a new eclasses directory should require a EAPI
32 > > bump.
33 >
34 > I'm not going to argue that PMS doesn't seem to say anything about the
35 > content of ECLASSDIR other than that eclasses are stored inside it.
36 > A new dir is fine with me. Can we have that in EAPI4 or is that already
37 > being finalized?
38
39 EAPI4 is a bit up in the air from where I'm sitting. Write up
40 a proposal (or clean up the g33 glep) and push it- even if you miss
41 eapi4 (doubtful), it'll be in the next eapi.
44 > > As for per package eclasses, I'd personally require accessing the
45 > > package eclass being done via a new inherit function- this avoids some
46 > > annoying gotchas. That said, I don't see a reason right now that it
47 > > couldn't be added into an EAPI, per the reasons I laid out earlier in
48 > > this email.
49 >
50 > Okay, so how can I, as somebody not familiar with PM dev process and
51 > roadmaps, help in getting this done?
52
53 I'd suggest roughly the following-
54
55 pkg-inherit ['the per pkg-name'] ; specifically, pkg-inherit
56 automatically grabs some commonly named package eclass- or you can
57 optionally override the per package eclass to use.
58
59 The reason for the option is in transitioning away from an old eclass
60 implementation, or having an eclass per major version (assuming the
61 major versions warrant a seperate eclass).
62
63 Note that '/' and friends should be banned from the invocation, to
64 prevent a pkg-inherit from trying to reach into another packages
65 eclasses.
66 ~brian