From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving repoman checking, better idea (add arch.desc file)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 21:08:00
1 > > Proposal No 2:
2 > > * Leave profiles.desc unmodified
3 > > * Introduce a new file arch.desc, which contains the "stability
4 > > status" of an
5 > > arch;
6 > >
7 > > Syntax: 2 columns,
8 > > # arch status
9 > > amd64 stable
10 > > mips testing
11 > > sh unstable
12 > >
13 > > The meaning of the keywords "stable", "testing", "unstable" is the
14 > > same as in
15 > > the previous proposal,
16 >
17 > Maybe declare from the start that any extra columns should be silently
18 > ignored in implementations from start, as to be able to safely add more
19 > columns in the future without breaking backwards compatibility.
20
21 Makes sense.
22
23 > > 3) On introduction of the new column, it will be set to "stable" for
24 > > all
25 > > stable arches, "testing" for all arches where "inofficial" stable
26 > > keywords
27 > > exist (sh, s390, ...), and "unstable" everywhere else.
28 >
29 > Might want a "broken" (with maybe a better name) for some of these. I
30 > bet the ~arch of some of these is broken too, and no-one to respond to
31 > keyword requests, just happens when it happens.
32 > arm64 and mips are in that state too until we get that fixed and could
33 > move to "testing" and then later "stable" in case of arm64.
34
35 That's already "in the system". Let's discuss, for example, m68k (my favourite
36 broken arch).
37
38 Now:
39 * There are some stable keywords hanging around, but nobody cares about them
40 except the m68k arch team (= Mike).
41 * All m68k profiles are "exp".
42 Repoman happily ignores it (unless you use -e).
43
44 In the near future:
45 * m68k is marked "testing" in arches.desc
46 * All m68k profiles remain "exp"
47 Repoman *still* happily ignores it (unless you use -e); if you use -e, it will
48 test it with ~m68k=m68k.
49
50 In the far future, given the arch team is intersted:
51 * Upgrade profiles from exp to dev or even stable -> repoman will test it more,
52 but still using ~m68k=m68k.
53
54 So, whatever "non-support for broken arches" we have now will keep existing.
55 Just that migrating away from it gets easier.
58 Andreas K. Hüttel
59 dilfridge@g.o
60 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)