From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] net-im/ekg2 and the ssl/openssl/gnutls flags
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:33:23
1 Hello,
2
3 I'd like to ask for an advice related to net-im/ekg2 ebuild. I would
4 like to switch the ebuilds there to use the primary autotools build
5 system for the package, and the last thing on my to-do list is adding
6 a 'ssl' flag to the package.
7
8 The package consists of a core application and a set of plugins which
9 are built in a single run and build of which can't be easily separated
10 from the core application build (and I'd like to avoid forcing upstream
11 to split it).
12
13 The package configure scripts checks for both GnuTLS and OpenSSL
14 as a SSL backend. However, the use of a particular backend is
15 plugin-specific.
16
17 In particular, both Jabber and remote plugins support using either
18 GnuTLS or OpenSSL as the SSL backend. If both are available (enabled),
19 GnuTLS is preferred and used. On the other hand, the IRC plugin
20 supports OpenSSL only, and the sim plugin relies on OpenSSL.
21
22 In other words, the preferred complete build of ekg2 requires both
23 gnutls and openssl. However, all of the features should work fine with
24 openssl itself as well.
25
26 Right now, the ebuild uses 'gnutls' and 'openssl' flags to control
27 enabling each of the backends. To simplify that for the user, I'd like
28 to add a 'ssl' flag as well. The question is -- how should that flag
29 behave, taking care of the situation I described above?
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny