From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 18:14:35
1 On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 10:27:44PM +0100, Rev. Brendan Murphy wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > Just a few questions :-
5 >
6 > 1. Problem with my isp cuts me off at regular intervals, so is
7 > it posible to install gentoo by downloading the pkgs ect. install
8 > scripts and install from a partition.
9
10 In /etc/make.conf, set
11 FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/wget -T15 -t0 \${x} -P \${DISTDIR}"
12
13 This will use wget to fetch all packages, retrying indefinitely until the
14 package is down.
15
16 It's nice for those ultra-cheap ISPs which are totally overbooked but
17 still cheaper to use than real ISPs if you have a lot of patience.
18
19 Also, another trick with these crappy ISPs is to download through the
20 ISP's proxy. They sometimes give their own machines higher priority than
21 their clients', and this might include the proxy.
22
23 Kind regards,
24
25 Karl T