From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The inherit-EXPORT_FUNCTIONS ordering problem
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 17:23:31
1 On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 06:35:06PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been informed of a slight inconsistency in package manager behavior
5 > that affects combining EXPORT_FUNCTIONS with inherit (by ionic, thanks
6 > for the report!). Please consider the three following snippets:
7
8 ...
9
10 > 1. I'd like to propose that we explicitly require all inherits to happen
11 > before EXPORT_FUNCTIONS. This will ensure consistent behavior across
12 > all package managers.
13 >
14 > 2. I'd like to ask your opinion whether we should:
15 >
16 > a. revert the Portage behavior to be consistent with PkgCore/Paludis
17 >
18 > b. update PMS to identify the behavior as 'undefined', i.e. either
19 > solution is correct.
20
21 I would go with 1 and 2 b, but I also propose another option for the
22 next eapi which may be a bit controversial.
23
24 Starting with eapi 9, make export_functions a noop (you can't remove it
25 until all eclasses/ebuilds only support eapis that don't require it).
26
27 I understand that this is controversial, because it would require a lot
28 of work to convert ebuilds to eapi 9, but it would eliminate this
29 ambiguity/inconsistency in the future because it would require all
30 ebuilds to have phase functions unless they can use the default phases
31 the eapis provide.
32
33 Thoughts?
34