From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] have portage be quiet by default
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 12:32:20
1 On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 07:22:19AM -0800, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 11/14/2011 12:47 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 02:59, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 > >> Well, it's much easier to gather interest and get feedback if we deploy
5 > >> the change and ask questions later.
6 > >
7 > > I like the new output, but find it kind of annoying that there's very
8 > > little feedback on how far the progress is within a single job.
9 > > Perhaps we could show the currently executing ebuild phase in order to
10 > > give a little more feedback? Maybe most packages are completely
11 > > dominated by src_compile(), but for smaller packages it would be
12 > > helpful, IMO.
13 >
14 > I think that would be an interesting option. I imagine that it would be
15 > too much information for many people, so I don't think that we'd want to
16 > enable it by default.
17
18 I like the idea as well. IMO it would make a sane default. Not too
19 noisy, not too silent.
22 Alex Alexander | wired
23 + Gentoo Linux Developer
24 ++ www.linuxized.com