From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: steev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: new global USE flag gtk3
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:12:10
1 Dnia 2014-02-20, o godz. 01:44:17
2 Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Thu, 2014-02-20 at 07:55 +0200, Samuli Suominen wrote:
5 > > On 20/02/14 00:23, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
6 > > > Following up to today's QA meeting: The gtk3 USE flag is used by
7 > > > 27 packages, so I suggest making it a global flag:
8 > > >
9 > > > gtk3 - Add support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit) version 3
10 > > >
11 > > > Ulrich
12 > >
13 > > that would suggest it's fine to use, and is anything but temporary
14 > >
15 > > -1 from here
16 > >
17 > MATE desktop (which I hope to bring in to Portage soon) can be built
18 > against gtk+ 2 or gtk+ 3, and upstream supports doing both, so +1 from
19 > me.
20
21 Except that now users have to use USE='gtk gtk3' to get GUIs in random
22 applications that support only one toolkit. And then handle
23 REQUIRED_USE mess for packages that support choosing one of the two.
24
25 > Just because gtk+ 3 is the latest, does not mean it's the greatest,
26 > and I really wish people would realize that newest != bestest.
27
28 Yet it's supported, unlike GTK+2. I really wish people would actually
29 step up to fix bugs when the time comes rather than shouting about their
30 right to choose.
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny