From: "Daniel Campbell (zlg)" <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Repo mirror & CI project news: 'stable' gentoo branch, new repo stats, faster CI
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 17:15:30
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On June 5, 2016 9:04:26 AM PDT, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >Hello, everyone.
6 >
7 >I have the pleasure to announce that a few improvements have been
8 >deployed by the Repository mirror & CI project today.
11 >1. The mirror for 'gentoo' repository [1] now has a default 'stable'
12 >branch. It is updated automatically by the gentoo-ci checker,
13 >and therefore always contains the latest repository state that has been
14 >confirmed 'green' by CI. While this is far from perfect, it's the first
15 >step towards preventing major issues from being deployed on our users.
16 >
17 >If you are already using the mirror, you will need to either switch
18 >branch manually, or re-add it.
21 >2. The repository QA report [2] has been extended with some repository
22 >statistics. In particular, the timestamp of the newest commit
23 >and the number of valid (that is, those not dying in global scope)
24 >ebuilds are reported. Additionally, the homepage link is now included
25 >as well.
26 >
27 >This enables the Overlays team members to easily check which
28 >repositories
29 >are unmaintained and/or empty, and handle the issues more efficiently.
30 >It can also be useful to users who want to figure out whether there's
31 >a point in using a particular repository.
34 >3. I've tried to optimize the logic used to run QA checks on
35 >repositories, and I think I was able to even the load better.
36 >Additionally, I've repacked the git repositories to get rid of huge
37 >number of loose objects.
38 >
39 >As a result, CI now runs faster. The gentoo-ci runs are down from 10-12
40 >minutes to 7-8 minutes, and pull requests from 16-18 minutes to 9-14
41 >minutes. However, I don't have exact results yet as the server is still
42 >busy removing old files ;-).
45 >4. Finally, the mirroring code has been updated to correctly handle git
46 >repositories for which 'master' is not the default branch.
49 >Enjoy!
52 >[1]:https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo
53 >[2]:https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/repos/
54
55 Sounds like a big improvement. I'm not too familiar with CI, so forgive me if this is obvious: should overlays now use the 'stable' branch as their primary remote, so they can ensure that any breakage introduced is caused by their own overlay instead of a flub by us? If so, then I wonder if this will help indirectly improve overlay quality.
56
57 Being able to say "as of X commit, the tree is in good shape" is a big deal imo. Thanks for working to make that happen. Is there anything other devs can do to assist your development, or do we stick to the usual 'if in doubt talk to QA'?
58 - --
59 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.