From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Beta versions should be slotable
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:23:58
1 * Noack, Sebastian <S.Noack@××××××××××.de> schrieb:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > I like to try bleeding edge beta versions. But I hate that if I will
6 > install for example the new firefox 2 beta via portage, it will unmerge
7 > the current stable version. I would prefer to have a stable version for
8 > daily work and the beta version for testing purposes at the same time on
9 > my system. Therefore I would propose to introduce a policy, which forces
10 > each ebuild with the suffix _alpha, _beta or _pre have to be slotable.
11
12 Why not just putting alpha or beta packages in their own ebuild ?
13 ie. firefox-BETA ?
14
15 Those ebuilds should live in their own testing overlay, to keep the
16 main tree smaller.
19 cu
20 --
22 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
24 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
25 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
26 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
27 http://patches.metux.de/
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list