From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] using markup language for eclassdoc tags
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 12:19:28
1 >>>>> On Mon, 04 Jan 2021, Tim Harder wrote:
2
3 > In terms of choice, I'd personally choose reStructuredText since that
4 > generally plugs into python easier via docutils/sphinx (currently used
5 > for pkgcore's man/html conversion), but am open to discussion of
6 > alternatives such as markdown.
7
8 About reStructuredText vs Markdown:
9 - ReST syntax is more complete and better standardised.
10 - Markdown uses HTML as extension language, which is fine when
11 converting to HTML but makes conversion to other formats more
12 difficult.
13 - Trailing whitespace as part of Markdown's syntax is problematic
14 (and the current version of app-emacs/ebuild-mode removes it).
15 - We already use ReST for some of our documentation, like GLEPs.
16
17 Ulrich