From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Collecting opinions about GLEP 55 and alternatives
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:33:27
1 On Tuesday 24 February 2009, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Let's try something new. I would like to get opinions from as many
3 > people as possible about GLEP 55 and alternatives listed here in
4 > order to get some idea what the general developer pool thinks.
5
6 Thanks for opening a spot to voice our opinions within reasonable limits
7 and without deadlocked discussions.
8
9 To make it brief, I'd very much prefer 3c[0] for the reasons provided by
10 others before:
11 - From what I can see, it provides for all requirements set out by g55.
12 - There is a backwards-compatible way to implement it.
13 - It does not expose any more internal metadata than current ebuilds do.
14 - I see no rush to implement new EAPI features that require drastic
15 changes enabled by 1*.
16 - It provides a constant face for Gentoo, aka we're the guys and gals
17 using the ".ebuild" format.
18
19
20 Robert
21
22 [0] Although not with a fixed line limit, but with a strict way to find
23 it, i.e. the first occurence of #?\s*EAPI=["']?([a-zA-Z0-9._]+)["']?
24 or similar.