From: Greg Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: Developer List <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] A bash script to generate GNOME "Desktop Background" gallery XML files available
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 08:53:49
1 I've written a bash script to turn a directory, directory tree, or
2 list of files into an XML file suitable for use with the "Desktop
3 Background" gallery construct in GNOME.
4
5 I could not find one @GNOME.org or freedesktop.org, so I wrote one for
6 myself based on the "Cosmos" gallery definition and some experimenting.
7
8 I haven't yet found what program or library is handling the decoding
9 of this XML file (nor what draws the desktop background actually) so I
10 can't be sure that I fully handle all the DTD options. Any pointers on
11 where to find the specification(s) are appreciated.
12
13 I've been running it under GNOME 3.4.2 for a couple of weeks now and
14 it seems solid enough. Some of the other options that I suspect should
15 be available in the DTD/XML (such as "scale" vs. "stretch" etcetera) can
16 be set via dconf-editor or GNOME Control Center.
17
18 It has been quite a while since I've done much programming, and this
19 is the first thing I'm throwing into the Gentoo Project and GNOME
20 waters. (Be gentle in your criticisms please.)
21
22 The script is to be found at:
23
24 http://wolves.homeip.net:9000/~ggw/BkgMake.sh
25
26 There is a fairly detailed -h option, and it is commented throughout.
27
28 TODO: add an option to automatically "shuffle" the image file list
29 before writing the output. write a man page and texinfo file. make a
30 real Gentoo package for the thing.
31
32 Have at it people.
35 Gregory "Wolfe" Woodbury