From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] use GGZ?
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:47:49
1 the GGZ is the "Gnu Gaming Zone" which has its homepage at
2 sourceforge: <url: http://ggz.sourceforge.net >. the current
3 release (0.0.5) supports 17 games, of which a quite a few are
4 well-known external games such as FreeCiv, BzFlag, TEG and X-Tux.
5 now, for these games one needs to build with the ggz-libraries to
6 get support for GGZ.
7
8 I've been working on some GGZ-packages for a week or so, and I'm
9 nearly done. the libraries and server are done, the GTK
10 applications are done (with some odd problems, but they are bugs in
11 the general code it seems). the KDE stuff is still broken, and I
12 might wait for the KDE3 port which is a week or two away.
13
14 now, the problem is the external games. I think it would be rather
15 nifty and cool if they got GGZ-support since they're in portage
16 already, but this would require patching some games and just
17 building with special parameters on others. but, it is not in the
18 nature of Gentoo to require GGZ for freeciv now, is it? :)
19
20 I don't really see how this can be achieved nicely without adding
21 (yet) another USE-flag. comments anyone?
22
23 oh, I have gbatnav (battleship-clone for Gnome) all done, but I
24 won't submit it before one decides about the USE flag, since gbatnav
25 supports GGZ. :)
28 Terje