From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-core@l.g.o, releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Re: GLEP 26 -- Handling kernels with portage
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 17:18:29
1 On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 11:39:22PM -0400, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 20:32 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > > > Also, please realize that the 2.6 kernel build process is infinitely
4 > > > > better than the 2.4 one, and based on it, a number of your listed
5 > > > > objections and proposals are pretty moot.
6 > > >
7 > > > Like binary packaging support?
8 > >
9 > > Yes.
10 >
11 > How does the 2.6 kernel build process allow one to create a binary
12 > package that is fully integrated with portage.
13
14 You never mentioned portage in your question :)
15 The 2.6 kernel build process provides the ability to generate a binary
16 .deb or .rpm package today. Why not look into modifying it to also
17 support creating a binary portage file? All of the necessary hooks are
18 provided for you already...
19
20 > Integration with portage is essential (for security updates, etc). We
21 > all know how secure the kernel has been this last year. Just think
22 > emerge --security would now support kernels in a fully automated
23 > fashion.
24
25 I agree this would be good to have. A number of us are working on
26 fixing up the current security process to more closely match that of the
27 other distros (0 day security updates, instead of always playing
28 catch-up).
29
30 > > > Being able to keep around just the kernel headers?
31 > >
32 > > You can keep a read-only kernel tree. Sorry, but that's necessary, you
33 > > can't throw away all of the source and expect to build an external
34 > > module properly. Or so states the current kernel build authors.
35 >
36 > All you need is the headers.
37
38 This is not true at all. Have you tried it? I just did, and it failed
39 misserably. You need to keep major portions of the kernel source tree
40 around in order to build external kernel modules. And if you need to
41 keep large chunks, why not just keep everything? That saves a
42 redownload in order to apply a security fix, or even to do another build
43 with a different configuration. Remember, disk space is cheap :)
44
45 > You can do away with about 50% or more of the tree. Plus, because we
46 > are implementing at the eclass level, we can keep the tree compressed
47 > as a tarball, saving more space.
48
49 And are you proposing that we uncompress the tarball every time a
50 package needs to build against the kernel source tree? If so, that
51 seems like a lot of work for very little gain.
52
53 > > > A single API for all package building?
54 > >
55 > > The kernel build process has nothing to do with building a package,
56 > > although it does currently provide the ability to build a .deb and .rpm.
57 >
58 > Which is helpful to gentoo how? This is a portage integration issue.
59
60 See my above comments for why this _could_ be helpful to Gentoo if you
61 so desired it to be.
62
63 thanks,
64