From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new category for container related packages, instead of app-emulation
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2021 21:12:23
1 On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 05:57:06PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 2:44 PM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > We've been collecting more and more container related packages in
7 > > app-emulation/*
8 > >
9 > > What do you think about finally moving those packages to separate category?
10 >
11 > As always my opinion is that:
12 >
13 > (a) Categories were a design mistake.
14 > (b) The mistake is hard to fix.
15 > (c) It's basically low-value to try to 'correctly' categorize packages
16 > because of A.
17
18 I disagree that categories are a mistake. For one thing, they help with
19 situations where different upstream packages have the same name (we have
20 two docker packages for example, both named docker by their upstreams),
21 and in my opinion they help keep the tree organized. It is nice to be
22 able to do something like `ls -d <category>` and check out somewhat
23 related groups of packages.
24
25 I will agree that C above is subjective.
26
27 > (d) Recategorizing means a bunch of stuff has to be updated.
28
29 All of the updates are much easier to do since we use git, so this isn't
30 a concern. You can set this up so it hits the tree all at once.
31
32 > Do people actually care what category things are in? I just use
33 > --search or eix or whatever and the category is just this...bad
34 > concept we attach to packages for silly historical reasons..
35
36 Yes, I think they are useful like I said above.
37
38 So add me to the list of folks supporting recatagorizing the packages.
39
40 William