From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo 2006.1
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 19:19:14
1 On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 12:34 +0200, Edgar Hucek wrote:
2 > Apeal on extended testing :
3 >
4 > Developer, please test things more carefull before you
5 > release it.
6
7 I hear this (pardon my "French") BULLSHIT all the time from our
8 developers. Look, people, I asked multiple times for assistance with
9 testing. Guess what? Very few developers did any testing. We started
10 a Release Tester program to try to improve testing. It helped somewhat,
11 bust most of the release testers never bothered doing installations.
12 Some of them were very helpful, but most didn't do much of anything.
13
14 Release Engineering can not, and WILL not, be responsible for the state
15 of all 10,000+ packages and all of their possible USE combinations.
16 That is the individual ebuild maintainer job. Our job is to make sure
17 that the *media* works with the *default* set of USE as we have laid
18 out. If something other than what is provided by us does not work, it
19 is *not* our fault, nor our responsibility.
20
21 Remember that our releases are a snapshot of the state of the tree. If
22 the tree is messed up, then it will be reflected in the tree. If you
23 want better releases, quit trying to lay blame on other people and get
24 off your ASS and HELP fix the problems. Seriously, if you want to see
25 improved releases, then help out. Quit your bitching, as it doesn't
26 accomplish *anything* to improve the releases.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
31 x86 Architecture Team
32 Games - Developer