From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 17:36:51
1 On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 1:05 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Problem
4 > 1. There does not seem to be any file name requirement for binary packages.
5 > 2. There are binary packages that end in -bin, which is good. However it is
6 > not clear if that is an upstream 3rd party binary. Or a binary made by
7 > compiling a large Gentoo package, by a Gentoo dev or contributor on a Gentoo
8 > system. Like icedtea-bin for example, and likely some others.
9 >
10 > Suggested Solution
11 > 1. Require 3rd party binary package names be suffixed with -bin. Many are
12 > already named that thus require no change. A few package missing such may need
13 > to be renamed to such.
14 > 2. Require Gentoo made binaries have some other preffix, maybe -gbin. To
15 > represent not only is it a bin, but it is a Gentoo self made binary. Much less
16 > of these but would require some package renames.
17 >
18 > It is some what a moot problem, but I think it would be good to adopt such or
19 > similar requirement, maybe in the PMS.
20
21 I see no reason to specify a file naming convention like this in PMS.
22 This isn't really a technical problem, but rather a Gentoo policy
23 issue. Other repos/distros should be free to call their ebuilds
24 whatever they like.
25
26 Also, I don't think a file naming convention is the best way to
27 implement this. I would suggest introducing a new piece of metadata:
28 either an element in metadata.xml, or a global variable in ebuilds.