From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New GLEP: file installation masks
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 06:37:44
1 On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 07:26:21 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Fri, 20 May 2016, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >
6 > > Sometime around a year ago, I started working on extending
7 > > INSTALL_MASK to support well-defined locations. The work was never
8 > > finished, and I just found my old specification for it. I've cleaned
9 > > it up a bit, and extended it into a complete GLEP covering
10 > > INSTALL_MASK [1].
11 >
12 > > Please review the specification provided. The basic goal is to
13 > > provide an ability to use INSTALL_MASK alike USE flags -- with path
14 > > groups that are well-defined and described in the repository.
15 >
16 > Sorry, I am late in the game. (Or maybe not, since the GLEP doesn't
17 > yet have a number.)
18 >
19 > The GLEP says that path groups always apply globally. So the
20 > install-mask.conf file is not "alike layout.conf" (as the GLEP claims)
21 > because its scope is not restricted to the repository where it is
22 > stored. And in turn this can lead to name collisions ("Duplicate
23 > groups [...] are considered an error").
24 >
25 > Therefore I think that repository metadata is the wrong place for
26 > storing the install-mask.conf file. It is configuration, specific to
27 > Portage (but not to the repository), so /usr/share/portage/config/
28 > would be a better location to store it.
29
30 ...which would mean we have to re-release Portage every time it
31 changes, which in turn means we can't do anything without having shout
32 at users to upgrade Portage, and upgrade, and upgrade...
33
34 systemd uses new path? Upgrade Portage. We support a new localization?
35 Upgrade Portage. We failed horribly and your system no longer boots?
36 Upgrade Portage.
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny
41 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>