From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pid 1 design
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 17:14:26
1 On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> ...have an init as PID=1 that does
4 >> nothing but launch systemd and keep it propped up until it gets a
5 >> signal from systemd. However, that could have issues I'm just not
6 >> thinking of.
7 >
8 > I'm not the maintainer, but this method does seem to work pretty well
9 > for OpenRC and our old friend baselayout-1 (so, the last decade or so,
10 > as I understand it).
11
12 Yes, but OpenRC basically just launches processes and considers itself
13 done with them. Systemd is a bit more like a shepherd, looking after
14 things for their entire lifecycle. When you use openrc to stop a
15 process it just runs a script which is responsible for cleaning up.
16 If you stop a systemd service it can try nicely first, but if any
17 descendant of the service is left running it will be cleaned up with a
18 vengeance. If a process is supposed to be running and stops, systemd
19 can restart it (which makes it more like init - which restarts
20 anything in inittab if it dies).
21
22 Systemd isn't a like-for-like replacement for traditional inits. It
23 aims to be much more, so this is a bit of an apples-to-oranges
24 comparison. Again, I'm not sure that it HAS to work the way it does,
25 but I wouldn't dismiss their design simply because it is different.
26 Also again, if curious I'd probably ask on their own list, assuming it
27 hasn't already been answered there.
28
29 Rich