From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: Please stop useless removals (was: [gentoo-dev] last rites: games-arcade/bitefusion)
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 11:11:17
1 On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 3:21 AM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:36 PM, Vaeth
3 > <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >> Please, please, stop removing packages for no reason!
5 >> This happens now way too often:
8 > If folks do not want to maintain it anymore, then it will be removed.
9 > Feel free to contribute to Gentoo and maintain the packages.
12 I think this makes sense, IFF there is something fundamentally wrong
13 with the package.
14
15 Being unmaintained in and of itself is not something fundamentally
16 wrong with the package.
17
18 Having a few open bugs is not either.
19
20 Having security problems or being unusable is. I'd throw in things
21 like serious file collisions and similar serious quality problems as
22 well.
23
24 I'd even throw in a missing distfile, but only if no user of the
25 software is willing to proxy maintain that aspect of the package.
26
27 The one thing missing from this discussion is that users CAN
28 proxy-maintain things. Oh, and ANYBODY can run an overlay (it just
29 won't necessarily be listed in layman - but that is how every distro
30 does it).
31
32 I do think it is a loss for Gentoo if we start removing packages
33 simply because they don't change (which is all a dead upstream means -
34 it isn't always a bad thing).
35
36 Rich