From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in dev-libs/confuse: confuse-2.7.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:57:13
1 On 03/10/2013 02:11 PM, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 03/10/2013 07:04 PM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 12:44:18 +0100
4 >> Tomáš Chvátal <tomas.chvatal@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> If I remember correctly the damn rule is to put it for 30 days into
7 >>> testing, and as you said there was no previous version on arm so users
8 >>> could've reported some issues, i agree that sometimes you have to
9 >>> ignore the rules to really fix stable, but was this such case for
10 >>> sure?
11 >>
12 >> I've done straight to stable keywording _many_ times. The rationale is
13 >> that with no previous version stable for a particular architecture,
14 >> there really are no users who could see _regressions_, hence waiting
15 >> the nominal thirty days is meaningless in this case.
18 >> jer
21 > another note:
22 > I was told a while back (I might still have it in irc logs), that 30
23 > days is NOT a rule. It's common sense, but in the end the maintainer
24 > decides when to request stabilization, no one else.
25 >
26 > Blame people if they break something, not if they ignore soft policies.
29 What's broken is the expectation that the package was tested by more
30 than one person. The "soft policy" is here:
31
32 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/keywording/index.html#moving-from-~arch-to-arch
33
34 And you're right, ~30 days is simply a suggestion. But the rule is "The
35 package has spent a reasonable amount of time in ~arch first." A further
36 non-suggestion is "The package must be widely tested."
37
38 If a package is marked stable, I expect it to have seen some testing,
39 and not just on the maintainers personal machine. I don't rely 100% on
40 the stable designation, but it does affect the amount of testing that I
41 personally will do. Please help me do my job by not perverting the
42 meaning of stable.