From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:03:19
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 18:25, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 17:29:11 +0200
3 >
4 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > The problem that I see with this is that it would tend to reinforce
6 > > > the view that Paludis is becoming an officially supported package
7 > > > manager, which at the moment at least it isn't. If people are
8 > > > amenable to the idea though, I'm quite willing to set it up.
9 > >
10 > > In my opinion if paludis is not aiming to become an officially
11 > > supported package manager there is no point in changing the tree to
12 > > that in the first place.
13 >
14 > Note "at the moment". We want paludis to be a viable alternative to
15 > Portage for most users, and part of that aim requires having an
16 > available profile that doesn't bring Portage into the system set. An
17 > "officially supported" package manager is a pretty vague term
18 > anyway ... there's a group within Gentoo that will support it, and
19 > groups that won't, as with any other part of the tree.
20
21 Officially supported means that package maintainers must take it into account.
22 Repoman (or another QA tool) checks for compatibility on it, etc.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze
28 Gentoo Developer