From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Useless USE descriptions...
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:32:55
1 I've been running Gentoo on my server for about a year now, but it's
2 only this week I've been able to install it on a desktop machine. So
3 today I'm doing a load of emerging of all those essential packages that
4 one has on every system one owns, and I'm tweaking more USE flags than
5 usual.
6
7 Can I ask you to be helpful in your USE flag descriptions, please..?
8
9 Compare:
10 $ grep lua /usr/portage/profiles/use.*
11 /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc:net-www/elinks:lua - enable lua
12 support
13 $ grep curses /usr/portage/profiles/use.*
14 /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc:ncurses - Adds ncurses support (console
15 display library)
16 /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc:slang - Adds support for the slang text
17 display library (it's like ncurses, but different)
18
19 It would have saved me a Google if the lua flag was described as "Add
20 lua support (a language designed for extending applications)". The
21 latter two tell me exactly what I need to know.
22
23 I'm sure such an terse description is the exception rather than the
24 rule, and that it's just an oversight because the dev who put it in
25 there was tired, in a hurry &/or thought everyone knows what lua is, so
26 I hope this will be taken as nothing more than a gentle reminder from
27 one of the popcorn-eating, booing masses in the cheap-seats, who
28 wouldn't be here at all if he didn't think you all make such a GREAT
29 DISTRO.
30
31 Stroller.
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list