From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] sys-kernel/usermode-sources facing removal
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 13:29:46
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been wrangling with usermode-sources maintenance for some time now,
4 but I don't have any interest in it and have no clue how it works.
5
6 The current version in Portage is a bit out of date and faces the usual
7 minor kernel security issues.
8
9 usermode-sources is actually just Paolo Giarrusso's -bs tree, which is
10 just a small set of patches on top of mainline Linux. The mainline
11 kernel actually includes out-of-the-box UML support, but Paolo maintains
12 a set of patches, most of which end up going into the next kernel
13 release. So by removing this package we aren't dropping major
14 functionality from Gentoo.
15
16 However, the -bs tree does include a couple of small features which
17 probably won't go into the kernel any time soon. Some users probably use
18 these, and Paolo would prefer to see these kept in Gentoo since I think
19 we are the only distro who package his kernel.
20
21 So, is anyone interested in maintaining this? It's not a lot of work,
22 Paolo makes the patchset, and you simply combine that with genpatches in
23 the ebuild, and stick it in Portage. There are occasional bug reports,
24 but Paolo has an account on our bugzilla and is always keen to help.
25 Really the only requirement is that you are a UML user and you have some
26 interest in it.
27
28 Any volunteers?
29
30 If not, this package will be removed in 30 days. It will be put in
31 package.mask sometime over the next day or two due to the open security
32 bugs.
33
34 Thanks,
35 Daniel