From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: emerge -C eselect-python disaster
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 02:12:35
1 Dale posted on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:06:06 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > I am subscribed to -user as well. I been using Gentoo since the 1.4
4 > days. This is about improving portage which is a good thing to talk
5 > about here. The devs do it, not the user. ;-) Also, I already know
6 > how to use portage pretty good. I'm not asking for support just trying
7 > to improve things.
8
9 Do note that there's a portage-specific list as well. IDR what the name
10 is but on gmane (where I follow it) it's the
11 gmane.linux.gentoo.portage.devel newsgroup. It's not a user list either,
12 but they're reasonably friendly and it wouldn't be bothering the non-
13 portage devs that way.
14
15 As for this, I say let it be (except for possibly making -C output a
16 bigger warning in general). The documentation is pretty clear, and Gentoo
17 never has been about hand-holding. If a user can't read the documentation
18 and thus asks to screw themselves, Gentoo provides the tools to do it --
19 and they're POWER tools, too! =:^) I don't see that changing and don't
20 believe it should. There's other distributions out there for users who
21 want or need a namby-pamby baby-sat hand-held version. Gentoo is not and
22 never has been the right choice for them, and I don't believe we should be
23 trying to make it so. (That said, a warning on -C similar to that on -c,
24 might be wise, but that's an implementation detail the discussion of which
25 doesn't belong here.)
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman