From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Notify people about empty herds (Was: Re: [gentoo-dev] FTR: media-optical@g.o has no developers)
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 01:16:02
1 On 4 June 2010 00:55, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:35:04 +0200
3 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Also, there are herds that have several members, but none of them is
6 >> really active (games, most of the desktop-* herds, etc.). This also
7 >> leads to users being discouraged because the bugs they file are left
8 >> ignored.
9 >>
10 >> This needs a structural solution. I think we need a team to
11 >> systematically look at open bugs and to notify the community of such
12 >> problematic herds. I imagine this would be a QA subproject.
13 >
14 > That would basically be a task other than bug-wranglers, but jakub used
15 > to do all this and I do it sometimes, among a few others who either
16 > just scratch an itch or take a general interest. Maybe the
17 > bug-wranglers project can be extended since it at least has some active
18 > people (not just developers), but as it now stands there are again 150
19 > unassigned bugs after only a week (up from ~40 since the last
20 > reassignment run I believe).
21
22 This is indeed not bug-wrangling. It's more "follow-up", making sure
23 things don't fall between the cracks *after* they have been assigned.
24
25 Because currently they do. Instead of involving more users with
26 development, we discourage them because their bugs are ignored.
27 Especially users who come with fixes and patches should be thanked and
28 encouraged. But too often they are frustrated because their bug is
29 assigned to a dev or herd who is inactive and unresponsive (for
30 possibly very valid reasons) and nobody is picking up the slack.
31
32 I think we can do better, and I believe there are enough people who
33 care, who would volunteer to form a team to take care of this.
34
35 > "Calling in" QA as such usually isn't really beneficial.
36
37 I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough on this point. I'm not "calling in"
38 QA. I say we need to form a new team to tackle this long-standing
39 problem. Like bug-wranglers, these volunteers would not need to be
40 devs, but could just as well be users who want to contribute. And they
41 could be joined by devs, who like me think this is an important issue
42 to address.
43
44 I think that this new team would naturally find its place within
45 Gentoo as a QA subproject, as this problem has a lot to do with QA
46 concerns. But it could also be linked to bug-wranglers or be
47 independant. That's mostly bikeshedding for me. I think some QA
48 supervision might be beneficial, especially since QA has the authority
49 to step in in certain cases. But let it be clear that I'm NOT saying
50 "this needs to be done, and QA must do it." I'm saying "this needs to
51 be done, and we should ask some people to volunteer."
52
53 >> Then we also need some structure to redirect some dev love to these
54 >> problematic areas. We need to advertise these needs more, to get
55 >> trusted users to proxy-maintain. We need to streamline the recruitment
56 >> process to make it easier for people who want to volunteer to become
57 >> devs. And I could go on for a while. There are a lot of areas where
58 >> Gentoo has a lot of room for improvement, and they all interlock.
59 >
60 > All these problems seem to come down to the fact that we're
61 > understaffed in most departments.
62
63 I think we can work on this from two sides:
64
65 1: Motivate the people we have. Make their work more efficient. Find
66 out why people are retiring. For people who are retiring for
67 Gentoo-internal reasons, let's improve things so they will be more
68 motivated to stay.
69
70 2: Make it easier and more rewarding for people to start contributing.
71 We can expand proxy-maintainership (many users don't even know this is
72 possible). We can reform the recruitment process, so that it will be
73 less of a bottleneck (for example by putting much more responsibility
74 into the hands of our mentors, like we discussed on IRC). We also need
75 to communicate better what we need. Put specific recruitment calls on
76 our frontpage, on the forums. More actively engage contributing users
77 (on bugzilla, sunrise, etc.) to set the next step.
78
79 > Setting up yet another project isn't going to help much.
80
81 Not by itself. But in my opinion this is a structural problem that
82 needs a structural solution. If you have other ideas of how to do
83 this, let's hear them and discuss them, and find out which we think
84 are likely to give us the best results. My concern is that we tackle
85 the problem. The how is just a tool.
86
87 > Just looking
88 > at open bugs (bugzilla can help you figure out which bugs might need
89 > someone's particular attention). What might help right now is look at
90 > the herds.xml data and combining that with activity rates of the
91 > developers in all herds. Herds with few developers and lots of open
92 > bugs is something you could calculate and filter down into a monthly or
93 > weekly report you send to a mailing list (probably dev-announce?).
94
95 Yes, this could be a very valuable tool.
96
97 >> I believe we need to formulate a vision of what we want Gentoo to be,
98 >> and then develop strategies of how to get there. Having a team that
99 >> systematically looks at the state of herds as well as open bugs is
100 >> --in my opinion-- a crucial first step to adress some of the
101 >> structural problems that have plagued Gentoo for years.
102 >
103 > Do you mean we should redefine what Gentoo is about, to satisfy the lack
104 > of active developers? Bring down the number of packages? Or address the
105 > staff shortage? That last one is rather old, as recruiters have been
106 > clamouring for help for years now.
107
108 Not so much redefine, but clarify. What is Gentoo really about? What
109 kind of distro are we? What are our goals? What are our values?
110
111 We want to be the best distro for power users. At least, that is how I
112 have always understood Gentoo. What else is part of that vision? Can
113 we put that into a clear mission statement, into defined goals and
114 values?
115
116 This is going a bit off-topic. Maybe we should split this part off
117 into its own discussion?
118
119 A clear vision and defined goals will show us what our priorities are.
120 And in my vision for Gentoo nothing falls between the cracks. So it
121 would be a priority to detect those cracks, and to recruit volunteers
122 to close specific holes. If we agree on what our priorities are, on
123 what our goals are, we have a better change to succesfully attain
124 them.
125
126 Cheers,
127 Ben