From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 14:32:26
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 06:00:32 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > > I disagree. It's very easy and probably the best way of doing
4 > > things to say "If ebuilds want to use slot deps, use deps or blah,
5 > > they set EAPI=1. Otherwise, continue as normal.". So far as I'm
6 > > aware, everything currently planned for EAPI 1 is an extension, not
7 > > a change in behaviour.
8 >
9 > Fair bit more was on the table as potentials for EAPI1; breaking
10 > src_compile into src_configure/src_compile, glep33 (eclass2
11 > seperation), misc reductions of env vars and tightening of various
12 > metadata (RESTRICT for example, formally forbiding the no* form).
13
14 Which isn't a problem, so long as these are all things that can be
15 introduced pretty much straight away. If any of them aren't ready to
16 go, they'd be better held off to EAPI-2. After all, people seem to want
17 to be allowed to use :slot deps right now...
18
19 None of these are anything that would end up sounding bad if worded as
20 "as per existing practice, except ...".
23 Ciaran McCreesh
24 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
25 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
26 Paludis, the secure package manager : http://paludis.pioto.org/