From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Forming Gentoo Policy - Copyright Assignment and Attribution
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 21:41:37
1 On Monday 11 of March 2013 14:19:55 Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 04:51:17PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > If you have any concerns/objections to the policy which was outlined,
4 > > which includes a mandatory requirement to sign a contributor license
5 > > agreement and an option to also sign an assignment-like document based
6 > > on the FSFe FLA, please speak up this week.
7 >
8 > I've already said this before, but I guess I need to say it again:
9 >
10 > If a contributor license is required to be signed, I'll have to
11 > stop contributing to Gentoo.
12 >
13 > Other developers will be also affected, and you will find it hard to
14 > attract new developers who happen to work for companies that forbid
15 > their employees to sign these types of things (a _very_ common thing in
16 > the US, I have yet to work for a company in the past 20+ years that
17 > would have allowed this without going through the company's legal
18 > council for approval, a usually very difficult thing to achieve for a
19 > single developer.)
20 >
21 > I was here when the copyright assignment form was dropped due to all of
22 > the problems it was causing new developers (myself included.) Have you
23 > somehow figured out how to handle all of the issues that were raised 8+
24 > years ago with the old assignment we had?
25 >
26 > Is there really no one around now (other than myself) that had to deal
27 > with that mess in the past?
28 >
29 > History, forgetting it, doomed.
30 >
31 > sadly,
32 >
33 > greg k-h
34
35 I'm not having any personal issue here, but I'm with Greg here, since this
36 action means loosing any single contributor. We're a project ran by
37 volunteers, we get more retirements than additions lately, and we can't even
38 afford loosing anybody. -1 from me as well.
39
40 Theo