From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: --as-needed to default LDFLAGS (Was: RFC: Should preserve-libs be enabled by default?)
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 21:54:01
1 On Sat, 31 May 2008 00:47:44 +0300
2 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Paludis is fine with as-needed. But hey, don't let reality get in
4 > > the way of your pathetic attempts at turning everything into Paludis
5 > > bashing.
6 >
7 > It happens to be the only package that I know of that couldn't be
8 > fixed to work with --as-needed (fix for others being to actually
9 > state linking with a library whose symbols are directly used). I have
10 > not heard of anything else.
11
12 Except that Paludis is fine with --as-needed.
13
14 > That doesn't mean Gentoo progress, in maintainability of a running
15 > system through the ease of ABI breaks meaning magnitudes of less
16 > recompilations, should be inhibited.
17
18 as-needed isn't the right way to do this.
19
20 > > And twenty years ago C++ had to work around linkers that only
21 > > supported eight character symbol names. Reality moves forward,
22 > > except in situations like these where people try to rice it
23 > > backwards.
24 >
25 > Maybe you'd like to tell that to the authors of the platforms that
26 > don't support this extreme corner case, but are amongst the platforms
27 > that we do somewhat support in Gentoo?
28
29 Not really. They'll fix it sooner or later. Probably sooner, once C++0x
30 starts being widely used.
31
32 > The story that matters here is, that a C++ corner case that does not
33 > work on 0.01% of packages with --as-needed and breaks on non-ELF
34 > platforms, should not cause good things for our users to be shot down.
35
36 You could say the same thing for -ffast-math...
39 Ciaran McCreesh