From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: auto-detection of unpack dependencies
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:06:11
1 On 20:25 Tue 15 Jul , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:23:08 -0700
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Could someone explain why manually doing work is better than
5 > > automatically detecting the deps? This sounds like an argument
6 > > against automation, and I'm not following it.
7 >
8 > Sometimes the magic will be wrong. For example, packages that have
9 > a .zip file in SRC_URI but that don't unpack that file (say, if they
10 > install it into sharedir as-is instead) don't need a dep upon unzip.
11
12 Indeed, that is a great argument for the RESTRICT. I wonder how many
13 packages do this? To get a quick idea, I did this grep:
14
15 grep '\.zip' /usr/portage/*/*/*ebuild \
16 | grep -v -e http -e ftp -e mirror -e unpack -e SRC_URI -e unzip
17
18 It produced a reasonable number of results, and I didn't investigate
19 further.
22 Thanks,
23 Donnie
24