From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: virtual/libudev
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 21:07:39
1 Michał Górny schrieb:
2 > Hello, all.
3 >
4 > Since nowadays udev is bundled within systemd, we start having two
5 > libudev providers: >=sys-apps/systemd-185 and sys-fs/udev. Making
6 > the long story short, I would like to introduce a virtual for libudev
7 > which would pull in either of those two.
8 >
9 > There are three USE flags used in conditionals when depending on udev:
10 > - gudev - for glib wrapper on udev,
11 > - hwdb - to pull in hwids,
12 > - static-libs.
13 >
14 > The former two were previously provided by 'extras' USE flag,
15 > and the third was unconditional.
16 >
17 > I'm attaching an example virtual/libudev which does the job. Sadly,
18 > because of the 'extras' compatibility it's a big ugly conditional.
19 >
20 > An alternative would be to provide separate virtual/libudev
21 > and virtual/libgudev; and maybe changing ebuilds not to depend on
22 > [hwids] but rather pull in sys-apps/hwids directly (since that's what
23 > the flag does).
24 >
25 > What are you thoughts?
28 As discussed on IRC, there is still no consensus for installing the udev
29 files with systemd, which is the beginning for the block and the
30 virtual. So we should first sort that point out, before we even start to
31 think about an ebuild for an udev virtual.
32
33 So for now: A clear no, i am against adding a virtual/libudev ebuild.
37 Thomas Sachau
38 Gentoo Linux Developer