From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] apache2 default for 2006.0
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:51:46
1 On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 09:22 -0500, Michael Cummings wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > Here's the deal. We have a new user that installs Gentoo. After
4 > > installing Gentoo, he tries to "emerge nagios" and it dies on building
5 > > apache over a bug that has been known for some time and still isn't
6 > > resolved. How exactly does that make us look? How exactly does that
7 > > make Release Engineering look when a "default install" cannot even
8 > > install apache properly? APACHE!!! Whether we are responsible for
9 > > apache or not, we *are* responsible for the release. Having things
10 > > completely broken in the default install is *not* acceptable. The bug
11 > > was reported in June and while there has been some action in the bug, no
12 > > fix has been issued. Again, this is *not* acceptable. Now, because of
13 > > this, it is my determination that we have a serious problem that *will*
14 > > affect the 2006.0 release, and I am trying to do something proactive to
15 > > prevent it.
18 > Case in point: I built a fresh, iso downloaded this weekend from w.g.o,
19 > and i failed to bring portage up to date before installing the stable
20 > apache2 - and what i got was broken because it was lacking the enewuser
21 > for apache (it built, installed, etc. - just couldn't run without either
22 > manually adding the user or syncing the dead-end box). And this was on a
23 > 100% stable box using the iso at
24 > http://bouncer.gentoo.org/?product=gentoo-2005.1-install-minimum&os=x86
25 > (link off the where page).
26
27 Thanks for the reminder... bug #114020... :P
28
29 Anyway, what I am suggesting would not have resolved this issue for you.
30
31 > OK, so I'm not bright for not syncing before starting emerging - but i
32 > can't imagine a new to gentoo user, not quite up with the "portage
33 > changes by the nanosecond" would think to sync after building from a livecd.
34
35 A new user would likely be reading the Handbook, which has the user
36 perform an emerge --sync (except for GRP).
39 Chris Gianelloni
40 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
41 x86 Architecture Team
42 Games - Developer