From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] grub reiser4
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:29
1 On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 10:10 +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On 03/10/05, Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I'd prefer if the patch was left out for amd64 users, or included via a
4 > > use flag. reiser4 isn't yet stable or proven on amd64.
5 >
6 > A quick search found this quote: "The topic in channel #gentoo-amd64
7 > on irc.freenode.net has said "Reiser4 is evil" for more than a year."
8 >
9 > However http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AMD_64 and the forum threads it
10 > links to seem to suggest that people are successfully using reiser4 on
11 > amd64 with recent kernels?
12
13 The gentoo-wiki.com site is not an official Gentoo site. Anything
14 written there can't be considered factual or accurate, and definitely
15 doesn't reflect on official Gentoo stance on anything, except where
16 quoted directly from a gentoo.org site (other than the forums, and
17 probably not planet or universe, either). That being said, it's usually
18 correct on things. The forums has had reports of people using reiser4
19 on everything from their amd64 to their toaster forever, all claiming
20 "stability" even at times when reiser4 support wouldn't compile on that
21 platform. What I am trying to point out here is that reports in the
22 forums should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm unaware of any testing
23 having been done by the amd64 team recently. I am aware of several
24 people with "stable" reiser4 systems having the file system go tits up
25 on them, however. I don't remember what platform they were on, but I
26 also know that they were running kernels not in the tree, which means
27 they have questionable stability themselves, so pinpointing the file
28 system as the actual problem is difficult, at best. My suggestion is to
29 try it. If it works for you, then great. If it doesn't, don't come
30 asking us, as we'll probably say something like "I told you so."
31
32 Basically, I think it is perfectly fine to play around with reiser4, but
33 I wouldn't trust it with *my* data. Not yet.
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
38 x86 Architecture Team
39 Games - Developer