From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [WIP] gcc 3.3
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 14:20:30
1 begin quote
2 On 16 May 2003 13:00:53 +0100
3 Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >
5 > There is an ebuild for it on bugzilla and one here and some on forums
6 > too. Have you used any of these as a definitive base or is this a new
7 > creation?
8
9 Neither, I wanted a go at it again (I haven't been messing with gcc
10 since 3.1 days) so I started from last known working 3.2.3 and went on.
11
12 > Also, is there any sign of this being entered into hardmasked or
13 > testig state on portage?
14
15 I'm not the maintainer of gcc, so I shall leave that up to Azarah to
16 decide, let him distill the different builds along with his own
17 experience to see what goes.
20 > I'd be quite keen on testing it out since I have had my fair share of
21 > pentium4 problems and am desperately hoping an upgrade of gcc will
22 > sort them out.
23
24 It may, so far it appears some old c++ code will barf though. not sure
25 about glibc and kernel issues either.
28 > Pardon my ignorance but have all these patches been commented out to
29 > prevent resultant problems or because they are no longer necessary?
30
31 Thats up to the maintainer, since I havent taken the time to go through
32 the patches each in turn and verify wether it is needed anymore I just
33 commented it out to see what happened. I suspect a lot of them are no
34 longer necessary, and those that are will have to be re-diffed in a new
35 manner, not really an easy task.
36
37 I suspect the real build won't enter portage until propolice is up in
38 speed though.
39
40 //Spider
44 begin .signature
45 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
47 end