From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 18:45:40
1 On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 01:06:43 +0100, Pawe Madej wrote:
2
3 > In my opinion if you want to build monolitic ebuild in system like
4 > gentoo where everything is going to be modular you should try some local
5 > USE flags for example monolitic to install all the stuff you are puting
6 > into it and of cours flags for every part which could be istalled
7 > independly.
8 >
9 > As a common user i need only nvidia-kernel and its dependency nvidia-glx
10 > to be happy.
11 >
12 > Greets
13 > Pawel Madej
14
15 Thanks for your feedback from the user POV. You point out part of the
16 current problem. glx is NOT a dependency of kernel. So a user who installs
17 kernel will NOT get glx under the current situation. This will cause
18 nvidia to fail at startup.
19
20 This is because glx has kernel as a dependency. Can't have it both ways
21 (as someone else here pointed out) because you'd have a circular
22 dependency...kernel requires glx, but glx requires kernel which requires
23 glx...and around we go.
24
25 As for more USE flags? I would say not a good idea. There are too many of
26 them already. :)
27
28 As for modularity, there comes a time when this goes to an extreme. Adding
29 closed source libraries (glx) to install along with the kernel source adds
30 no overhead (one user said 14 seconds to install glx) and provides a
31 complete solution without compromising any other part of any other
32 kernel's installation. So users who update a kernel won't be harmed and
33 everything can coexist. Unmerge will uninstall from the current kernel
34 path.
35
36 I _do_ see the argument that including the extra applications could be
37 spun off from the main package.
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list