From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Themes
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:40:36
1 On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 12:39:05AM -0600, Cymen Vig wrote:
2
3 > > Colouring a prompt was just an example; I was trying to portray a system
4 > > whereby everything could be configured from one central datafile... I'll
5 > try
6 > > to explain it again if anybody wants?
7 >
8 > Wouldn't this have at least a few of the same drawbacks that the registry in
9 > windows has? Do things die if this file gets corrupted/accidentally
10 > deleted/severly tweaked? Or is it another layer?
11
12 One of the design goals of Gentoo Linux is to have a clean system with a
13 minimum of layers. If we add new features, we try to make sure that they
14 don't complicate things too much -- the goal is to simplify, Linux is
15 quite complex already.
16
17 I designed Portage so that the ebuild scripts would be very easy to create
18 (hint, hint) rather than cumbersome. So if someone would like us to add
19 some features, the first question I have is whether it simplifies or just
20 adds another layer of complexity -- this part depends mostly on implementation.
21
22 Best Regards,
25 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
26 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org