From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: Mike Gardiner <obz@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 07:05:34
1 Mike Gardiner <obz@g.o>, on Thu Aug 21, 2003 [01:11:39 PM] said:
2
3 > In a lot of ways, for users or contributors, I think it boils down to
4 > credit and acknowledgement, rather than as a legal hold or similar. The
5 > standard method for giving credit for ebuilds submissions, that I was
6 > introduced to at least, was to ensure the contributor was acknowledged
7 > in the ChangeLog corresponding with the first commit of the package.
8 > Something simple along the lines of,
9 >
10 > "Thanks to Some User <user@email> for the ebuild contribution".
11 >
12 > I guess to users this doesnt seem as concrete an acknowledgement as a
13 > line like,
14 >
15 > # Copyright 2003 (c) Some User
16
17 Hi;
18
19 Speaking for myself, its not an atribution thing at all.
20 I have no problem contributing to the kernel without any mention
21 of me at all, or any of the many other projects I have submited
22 stuff to.... its more an issue of why should I surrender rights
23 to an entity, which may be currently piloted by paladins, but
24 whose future I have no control over, without any clear
25 justification.
26
27 Paul
28 set@×××××.com