From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: patching the kernel
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 23:26:21
1 "Sean P. Kane" <spkane@××××××××××.com>, on Thu May 09, 2002 [10:50:14 PM] said:
2 > I've been looking at the gentoo-sources ebuild and noticed that it seems to have the kernel tarball and then simply one big patch for the rest. I was hoping to be able to update one of the patches for some testing I wanted to do. Is there any reason that we don't keep the patches seperate to make this sort of work easier? Or am I missing a simple solution to this?
3 >
4 > Thanks,
5 > Sean
8 Hi;
11 At least the last two -r? gentoo-sources ebuilds have had
12 URLs to all the included patch sets. (this is a huge improvement)
13 Im sure agglomerating them into one big patchset is merely a
14 matter of convenience.
15 Keeping them separate would make it a lot easier to
16 engage in the kind of experimentation you are talking about by
17 editing the ebuild...
18 Until/if that ever happens, you can download the patch
19 in question, as specified in the ebuild comment, and use patch -R
20 to remove it, then modify/replace it with another patch...
21
22 Paul
23 set@×××××.com