From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: riscv@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] How to structure our RISC-V support
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 20:01:35
1 Howdy.
2
3 I'm sending this not only to the team members on the alias, but also
4 to the whole dev list for discussion.
5
6 So far I've been trying to support in Gentoo the full risc-v multilib
7 directory structure and the ABI sets supported by glibc. According to
8 specs this means for riscv64
9
10 -mabi=rv64gc -march=lp64d
11 libdir = lib64/lp64d
12 ("hardfloat")
13
14 -mabi=rv64imac -march=lp64
15 libdir = lib64/lp64
16 ("softfloat")
17
18 and theoretically similar for riscv32 (which just landed in glibc and
19 is still broken in qemu-user).
20
21 However, this leads to several levels of pain (and I definitely dont
22 have time to deal with it myself):
23
24 a) In many places the two-level libdir (e.g., /usr/lib64/lp64d) leads
25 to difficulties in build systems. Right now Qt5 and CMake are still
26 somewhat broken (in *Gentoo*).
27
28 b) Rust only supports rv64gc/lp64d. (Which is arguably what you should
29 have for decent Linux support.)
30
31 I'm pretty sure these are not the only things, but they are somewhat
32 symptomatic.
33
34 So, I would like to bring two proposals up for discussion.
35
36 1) We stop caring about anything except rv64gc/lp64d.
37 People can still bootstrap other stuff with crossdev etc, but the
38 Gentoo tree and the riscv keyword reflect that things work with above
39 -mabi and -march settings.
40
41 2) We drop the multilib paths and use "normal" lib64, with additional
42 "safety symlinks" (/usr)/lib64/lp64d -> .
43 This is what SuSE and (I think) Fedora already does. The symlink
44 should be there since "lib64" is NOT an official fallback coded into
45 gcc/glibc/binutils; the only fallback present is "lib" ...
46
47 Opinions?
48
49 Cheers,
50 Andreas
55 Andreas K. Hüttel
56 dilfridge@g.o
57 Gentoo Linux developer
58 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)