From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 17:32:02
1 On 03/09/12 12:11, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Fri, 09 Mar 2012, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >
4 >>> What if bash starts to parse the script completely and barfs at
5 >>> 'syntax error' before it starts executing stuff?
6 >
7 >> It doesn't parse the script completely, it executes line-by-line, so
8 >> we can bail out early.
9 >
10 > How can you tell that this behaviour won't be changed in a future bash
11 > version?
14 Who's to say that in the future my computer won't be made out of
15 delicious ice cream, eliminating the need for EAPIs entirely?
16
17 Chances are, this would break thousands of scripts, so we hope they
18 wouldn't do it. If it does happen, we either deal with it then, or don't
19 upgrade to that version of bash -- the same as we would do with any
20 other massive breaking change.
21
22 At any rate, I'm now convinced that we all want GLEP 55, but with a
23 different name.