From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [ANN] Genflags 0.91
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:38:55
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:58:47 +0100
3 Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 > -fomit-frame-pointer -fprefetch-loop-arrays -falign-functions=4
7 > -funroll-loops -ffast-math -fforce-addr
8 >
9 > Can initiative be taken to provide a slightly more aggressive yet safe
10 > set of cflags assigned to a command parameter or would that be
11 > difficult and time consuming to incorporate into the tool? Just a
12 > thought.
13 >
14 > Looking forward to the next version on portage.
17 - NO -
18 Not until you can remove all the hard to debug checks in portage for
19 theese flags, where you rebuild gstreamer, avifile, mjpegtools and
20 others with them, on all architectures, and it works.
21
22 I do -NOT- want to get the support issue of "recommended
23 overoptimization" again, and certain users who insist on doing it and
24 calling it "safe and stable" (in all other cases than the ones where
25 something -unexpectedly- breaks and is impossible to debug) should
26 really take themselves up to the task of doing support for all the
27 optimization testing there is ever avaiable.
28
29 (oh its harmless, everything works with it but abiword crashes when I
30 copy text.... *grumble*)
31
32 As a developer who has become bitter and turned off by the floods of
33 bugs which pour in with theese optimizations even after filtering and
34 removal as well as the documented process that you shall rebuild all
35 dependencies with low optimizations before filing a bug......
36
37 ....i dont want to have such a script recommend those flags as "stable".
38
39 So you are the example user, who really know what you are doing, who
40 really do rebuild everything as -O3 or -O2 when you get a crash....
41 Good. Then you also know where to set CFLAGS higher and when not to. you
42 dont need a tool to tell you theese flags.
43
44 </rant>
45
46 //Spider
50 begin .signature
51 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
53 end