From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:58:36
1 On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 12:17:23AM -0400, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > With regards to copyrights, it's necessary for us to own copyright on
3 > ebuilds in order to defend our intellectual property. If we (Gentoo
4 > Technologies) don't own copyright on ebuilds (and other pieces of
5 > Gentoo), we have no legal leg to stand on if someone (for example)
6 > attempts to put a more restrictive license on that piece of intellectual
7 > property.
8
9 If the object in question (here, the ebuild) is licensed under GPL (not the
10 program it refers to, but the ebuild itself) then even the copyrightholder
11 can't force Gentoo to stop spreading the object since the license is still
12 valid.
13
14 I'm not sure though that ebuilds are under any sort of license.
15
16 Wkr,
17 Sven Vermeulen
20 Save some animals, eat a vegetarian.