From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecate EAPI1?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:59:33
1 On 03/11/2012 03:52 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Patrick Lauer<patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I'd deprecate eapi2 too, we don't need 5 flavours around when we
4 >> effectively only want to support one (and eapi0 in a few places)
5 >>
6 >> I wouldn't mind having a deprecation timeline for eapi3 too (now +6
7 >> months maybe?), but there's no need to rush things.
8 >
9 > Is there really much of a benefit to this? I guess for anybody who
10 > runs scripts to mass-manipulate ebuilds it might be helpful, but I
11 > think all the package managers planned on supporting all the EAPIs for
12 > quite a while longer.
13 >
14 > I can imagine that this will lead to quite a bit of churn with
15 > updating ebuilds and especially eclasses. If a package doesn't
16 > require a feature in a newer EAPI, what is the point?
17
18 +1, it doesn't make any sense unless the request is coming from
19 dev-portage@ developers (Zac namely :-) as a part of code cleanup
20
21 I still find EAPI=1 useful myself when, for example, new GNOME 3
22 packages gets introduced to tree and there is a need to touch EAPI=0
23 ebuilds just to add SLOT deps.