From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ssl vs openssl vs libressl vs gnutls USE flag foo
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 13:18:33
1 hasufell schrieb:
2 > I've seen a lot of ebuilds lately that use 'openssl' USE flag for the
3 > purpose of enabling ssl features. I think this should be discouraged
4 > since it introduces inconsistency and is especially confusing for
5 > packages like media-video/ffmpeg, where'd you expect to get ssl support
6 > by having the global ssl USE flag enabled.
7 >
8 > Furthermore, some packages have started to do things like
9 > REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( openssl libressl )"
10 > which is even more inconsistent now and will make it very hard for
11 > people to switch to libressl without figuring out a lot of blockers,
12 > since we have conflicting meanings of 'openssl' now. One uses it as a
13 > feature flag, the other as a provider flag.
14
15 It has been discussed before how to map this to USE flags[1], but that
16 turned out to be quite difficult. Especially if you want to express
17 something like "this package must use the same crypto library as its
18 dependency".
19
20 REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( openssl libressl )" is one way to make things easy
21 for the ebuild developer, but nasty for the user.
22
23 For the users, the easiest way would be to set USE="openssl libressl"
24 (or some USE_EXPAND) if they are fine with any of these, but this makes
25 depending on a package which must be built e.g. against libressl and not
26 openssl hard.
27
28 Best regards,
29 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn